Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trend - an arithmetic calculation in the RMS

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Trend - an arithmetic calculation in the RMS

The trend function (see Tools -> Setup -> Measuring points -> New -> Arithmetic calculation) is a mathematic procedure to determine the best fit line of real measurement values with a natural measurement error.
    If you have e. g. an amount of measurement values with a strong noise and you want to know if a trend becomes observable than the RMS trend function is a helpfull tool. Typically it is used for calibration, to know if the values of the reference and the unit under test (UUT) are stable.

But what is behind this function?
    It is based on the method of Least Squares (see Wikipedia) a standard approach in the regression analysis, concrete the linear regression.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.png
Views:	1111
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	957

Mathematic modell of least squares (linear least squares)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mathematic_Model.png
Views:	279
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	958

Applied in the RMS
    Interval
    • Measurement interval -> time difference between two measurement values in sequence

Duration
    • Setting of the measurement point trend (arithmetic calculation) -> considered time for trend calculation
    • Minimum one interval is to be selected
    • Duration of one intervall considers 2 measurements; Duration of two intervals considers 3 measurements and so on…

Example
    • Duration of 10min with an interval of 1min means
      • Index i: 1…11
      • Index n: 11
      • xi of last index n: 10min
      • x_average of the considered time: 5min
      • yi of index 11: actual measurement value
      • y_average of all consiered measurement value (11 values of the last 10 minutes)
    Trend
    • Gain of the calculated trendline (change of the calculated trend per minute) - based on all measurement values during the time of duration.
    • ! The trend value in the RMS is per minute, even for intervals of 10 or 30sec. !
    • Tip: Use the Slope() function of MS Excel to reproduce the trend.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• RMS-Converter with PoE
      by Clemens.Duzy
      Hi RMS Community,

Today I would like to introduce an idea how to realize a RMS-Converter with PoE.

The RMS-CONVERTER-100 is a used to integrate digital non-RMS devices to RMS. It communicates with several types of devices as e. g. HF5 or HL-NT, logs and sends the data to the RMS as an IOT device. The RMS-CONVERTER is based on a SBC (Single Board Computer) that need a separate 230VAC/5VDC switching power supply. If the customer wants to install the RMS-Converter e. g. into...
      08-12-2020, 13:44
    • Rain detection with RMS
      by Clemens.Duzy
      Hi RMS Community,
      today I would like to show you the rain detector on our meteo station, how it works and how to integrate.

Measurement principle
      There are several ways and technologies to detect raining. A simple technology is to measure the ohmic resistance between two wires on a surface with rain drops. Such rain detectors has a meander wiring surface perpendicular to the sky. The disadvantages of this technique are, that the wires are exposed to the erosive climate....
      17-11-2020, 10:20
    • Measure Solar Radiation in RMS
      by Clemens.Duzy
      Hi RMS Community,

at the Rotronic location in Bassersdorf we have an experimental wether station that we implemented into the RMS.
      Today I would like to show you how to integrate a very simple solar radiation measurement.
      It could be used to detect any solar influence for climate measurements as temperature, humidity or for electrical measurements as power or efficiency of a photovoltaic system.
      A very accurate but also expensive sensor would be a pyranometer.
      04-11-2020, 14:46
    • Average - a RMS measuring point
      by Clemens.Duzy
      Hi RMS community,

I was asked what is the "Average" option in the RMS.
      If you click on Tools -> Setup -> Measuring points -> New -> Arithmetic calculation - you can choose the option "Average". The mean of the average is pretty simple. It is the sum of an amount of measuring numbers divided by the quantity of numbers taken into account (see Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average).

How to set up?
      To setup such a measuring...
      22-10-2020, 16:01
    • Monitoring of energy consumption with RMS
      by Clemens.Duzy
      After the article of a simple monitoring of a power consumption, I would like to share a further application idea for more complex energy monitoring and controlling.

For that setup I use an energy measure and control unit – in my case a NetIO PowerPDU 4C. The device can measure voltage, frequency, power factor, current, power and energy and that for each of four channels. Furthermore, it is possible to switch and to read out the status of each channel.

To communicate...
      19-10-2020, 14:22
    • Power Monitoring with RMS and ADC interface
      by Clemens.Duzy
      Today I would like to show you a way to monitor the current and power consumption consumption with RMS using a RMS device with standard ADC interface (0-10V).

The AC current is measured using a contactless current transducer. This component detects the magnetic field around the AC cable and measures the AC current by this principle. Beyond this, the sensor uses the magnetic field also to power his own sensor electronic and the interface of the transducer. So it doesn't need a...
      19-10-2020, 12:00
    Working...
    X